PRACTICE AREA DETAILS
- Lawyer Jordan P. Schnitzer
- Practice Area Dog Bite
- Location Las Vegas, NV
Many dog bite injury claims in Las Vegas settle out-of-court. However, the only way to be sure you receive sufficient compensation is by knowing your rights. Setting up a free consultation with Dog Bites attorney in Las Vegas can accomplish that. Plus, there are several reasons to have a dog bite lawyer in your dog bite injury case.
Dog bite insurance is included under liability coverage for homeowner’s insurance or possibly be covered under medical payments or umbrella liability for negligence. It may also be included under their health insurance or certain dog owners’ liability insurance, such as for service, therapy, or guard dogs. However, insurance companies only pay less than 1% of the 4.7 million Americans injured by dog bites every year. Plus, payouts that do occur do not necessarily compensate for all of the following:
- Mental anguish
- Pain and suffering
- Lack of normal working ability
- Lost wages
- Medical bills
If the dog owner does not have any form of insurance to cover dog bite injury liability, you would need a Dog Bites attorney in las vegas to seek compensation on your behalf.
Dog bite injury cases are based on a theory of negligence. A dog owner has a duty of reasonable care to prevent their dogs from biting people, including securing them on their property or a leash and knowing whether or not their dog is aggressive.
While Nevada does not have a statewide law for dog bites, there is a “one bite” city law in Las Vegas for liability. The dog acquires a label of a vicious or dangerous dog from previously either biting or acting aggressively towards people. A Las Vegas Dog Bite Lawyer can give proper legal counsel according to the Las Vegas city code and Nevada’s common law.
There are some essential steps to take immediately if a dog in Las Vegas has bitten you:
- Seek medical treatment and take pictures of your injuries. Doing so will get you the urgent care you need as well as start documentation of your injury. Let your doctor know if you cannot contact the dog’s owner.
- Notify the dog’s owner. Ask whether the dog is up-to-date on vaccines. If you cannot contact the owner, you should contact animal control.
- File a report. Notify the police as well as animal control.
- Consult a Las Vegas Dog Bite Attorney. You can find out if the dog has been labeled as vicious or aggressive. The lawyer will also help you deal with the dog’s owner and file a claim against the insurance company.
The Schnitzer Law Firm has the knowledge, expertise, and compassion you need for your dog bite injury case. An attorney from our firm will deal with the insurance claim on your behalf and go through the process with you step-by-step, ensuring that the claim is documented correctly. Request a free consultation to find out how we can get you the compensation you deserve.