Things to Look for When Hiring a Personal Injury Lawyer in Las Vegas
People injured in a serious accident often have many questions about hiring a personal injury lawyer in Las Vegas. Some of those questions may be:
- Will my health insurance pay for my medical bills?
- When will I be able to go back to work?
- Will I be able to return to my job at all, given the severity of my injuries?
- What am I going to do for transportation?
- What should I do first? Should I call a Las Vegas personal injury lawyer?
People suffer many kinds of injuries because someone recklessly, negligently, or intentionally hurt them. These are often called personal injuries in the law. The injured person will often seek the counsel of a personal injury lawyer in Las Vegas, especially if an insurance adjuster has contacted them with an offer to settle all claims against their insured.
After deciding it would be a good idea to speak with an attorney, you quickly find that there are many law firms to choose from. What is the best Las Vegas law firm for you?
What Is a Personal Injury?
Personal injuries cover all varieties of injury to someone’s body, emotions, or reputation. The grounds for making a personal injury claim include:
- Negligence. A person and even a business can be negligent by failing to take the proper care in doing something. There are four essentials necessary to establish that “A” was negligent: 1) “A” owed a legal duty to “B” to act or refrain from acting in a particular way; 2) “A” breached or broke that duty; 3) “B” suffered injury; 4) “A” caused the injury. Thus, “A” is liable to “B” for “B’s” injuries.
- Strict Liability. If you use a product that injuries you, the manufacturer is responsible for the injury, whether they were negligent or not.
- Intentional Wrongs. A person can recover compensation for intentional acts that harm them, such as an assault and battery.
Personal injury claims can arise when a person is physically harmed, as in:
- Car wrecks
- Workplace accidents
- Medical malpractice
- And more
Personal injury claims can come from non-bodily harm, too, such as:
- Intentional infliction of emotional distress
- Invasion of privacy
- And others
There must be damages for a personal injury claim, that is, a loss suffered. In a personal injury claim, damages may include:
- Medical expenses
- Lost wages
- Mental and emotional distress
- And many more
Of course, insurance is a valuable asset in our society. It should also be evident that insurance companies are in business to make money, not just pay out claims.
Of course, insurance is a valuable asset in our society. It should also be obvious that insurance companies are in business to make money, not just pay out claims.
What to Look for in a Personal Injury Lawyer in Las Vegas
Insurance companies meet their legal obligations as insurers by paying out as little as possible. Because people often think an insurance company’s offer to settle isn’t what it should be. They hire a Las Vegas personal injury law firm to represent them against the insurance company.
Claims adjusters and the law firms insurance companies hire to defend them in court are dedicated to paying as little as possible to settle claims. That does not mean that their offers even come close to the compensation an injured party deserves.
For that reason alone, people seeking a personal injury lawyer in Las Vegas need to know they are hiring an advocate dedicated to fighting for them.
How do they know when they’ve found such an advocate? Here are a few attributes to look for:
- The firm works on a contingency basis. In other words, they only get paid when they win your case. The Schnitzer Law Firm will consult with you for free, and they charge no fees or retainers.
- The firm’s lawyers have experience in personal injury law. Specifically, they have experience handling cases like yours. They should be happy to show you their track record of success.
- You want an attorney with diligence and dedication. Will they keep you informed of the case’s progress? Do they inquire about your medical progress or job re-training? Do they answer your calls and give straight answers? Also, are they prepared to go to trial if necessary?
- You want an attorney who understands insurance companies. The attorneys at The Schnitzer Law Firm know and understand insurance company tactics.
Hiring a personal injury lawyer in Las Vegas soon after your personal injury occurs can be crucial.
Your Attorney as Gatekeeper
Your attorney is your gatekeeper. No one gets access to you except through your attorney. If you suffer serious injuries, you need proper medical care. Sometimes treatment may last months or years. Insurance companies may try to pressure you to end therapy before you should. But your attorney will not allow you to be pressured in that way.
Without an attorney, insurance companies will use tactics meant to frustrate you. They may make a low settlement offer, leading you to think you can’t do better. They may argue you were also at fault.
The Schnitzer Law Firm will insulate you from these tactics. They will investigate your claim themselves and fight to get you the maximum amount of compensation you deserve.
Before hiring an attorney to handle your injury case, think about what you want. What will make you whole? You have the right to compensation from the person or entity that caused your injuries.
Call or Click Today
To learn more about The Schnitzer Law Firm, visit them online at theschnitzerlawfirm.com or call (702) 960-4050 to request your FREE consultation.